Saturday, April 7, 2012

Book Review: Paranormalcy


Author: Kiersten White
            Website
            Blog
Pages: 335
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult / Paranormal
First Published: September 1, 2010
First Line: “Wait-- did you-- You just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose,dropped to his sides.”
Buy it from: Amazon
                  Barnes & Noble

The GIST (From Goodreads): 

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.


OPINION:

Paranormalcy was what I looked for in a Young Adult book. A smart, strong, funny, complex heroine who, in a noticeable plot, meets a mysterious hottie  (throw in a little love triangle-- just a pinch). The girl is perfectly fine without the boy; the girl has a life and a story outside him. But when they meet they form a adorable, sweet, hot relationship based on mutual attraction and affection. The book knows what it is and what it's for. This one was light, funny and romantic and didn't try to make itself too dark and brooding, though there were some of those elements with deaths and very disturbed ex-boyfriends (who happens to be a Faery).

I also loved White's writing style. I understood who Evie was right off the bat, she definitely had a voice all her own and, best of all, it was funny. You could see Evie's internal progression as a character throughout the book and how her character is going to grow during the rest of the series.

I liked Lend, the love interest, a lot too. He was deep and mysterious. His back story turned out to be really interesting and I can't wait to find out more about it. The best part of Evie and Lend's relationship is that it didn't feel dependent, like Oh My God, I will die without you near me like all the time, it felt more like I really like you, I don't need you, but I want to be around you. It was just adorable.

As for the plot, I liked where it's going. Basically, the International Paranormal Containment Agency, where Evie works, tries to control all paranormals but they don't want to be controlled so that causes a lot of problems. Slowly, Evie starts learning things about her own power, to see through glamors, and she starts to question everything about herself. I can't wait to learn everything she finds out about herself in the next books.

The only problem I had was that I generally like darker books but that's nothing against the book, just my taste.

OVERALL:

I really liked the book and would definitely recommend it. I can't say it was my favorite book ever but it's definitely a book I would love to re-read and see how the rest of the series goes.---9.5 / 10