Thursday, April 12, 2012

Feature and Follow (5)


Question
What is one book that you would be nervous to see a movie adaption of because you think the movie could never live up to the book?


I would really have to say The Giver by Lois Lowry would be a book that I would be nervous to see transformed into a movie. It is more of a book where you had to be in the head of Jonas, the main character, whose world is turned upside down as he gains the knowledge of his society and the truths he has never known as the new "Receiver of Memories."

Like my thoughts on the Hunger Games, I find it hard to translate a book that focuses so solely on one person. The movie would make it more about the world than it would be about the personal conflict of the main character which, to me, dilutes the connection you feel with an MC.

Plus, the ending is so ambiguous and open to interpretation, I feel like the movie would try to make it more concrete, negating the whole effect and message behind the book.
 

 What do you think?