Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Book Review: Re-Read of City of Bones


Author: Cassandra Clare
            Website
            Blog
Pages: 496
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Genre: Young Adult / Urban Fantasy/ Paranormal
First Published: March 27, 2007
First Line: "You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his massive arms across his       chest.
Buy it from: Amazon
                  Barnes & Noble
Add to Goodreads
Book Trailer:

The GIST (From Goodreads): 

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end


OPINION:

I first read this book over a year ago and then quickly devoured the other two. (we won’t even talk about the ho-hum fourth one). Re-reading it was a different experience for me. As an aspiring writer delving deeper into how books are constructed, it’s great to go back to a book that made me excited and see what I liked and didn’t like about it. Such as, I would have liked the introduction to Clary’s normal life  to be a little longer but Clare does a great job of making the Shadowhunter world fascinating, even second time around.

The best part had to be the boys- Oh the boys! One in particular, of course. I still laughed out loud at the things Jace said. A lot of times I think things are funny in books but I hardly ever actually laugh so that was great. As for Jace as a character, I saw him as even more vulnerable and badass than I did when I first read the book especially when I remembered his motives towards Clary which are revealed in further books. It was nice to have the insight into him that only having read most of the series can give.

I still see Clary as a little bit of an annoying and bitchy character. Even though she's having problems with her mother, she hardly ever even thinks about her throughout the novel even though her mother was kidnapped and she thought she could be dead. She is also a total jerk to her best friend Simon who Clary said verbatim (several times) she forgot he even existed. You don't have to exactly like the main character to like the book but she was so obtuse and someone I had a hard time identifying with. Also, there was something about Simon that was just smacking the reader in the face and I just couldn’t believe she didn’t see it.
When I first read the book, I threw it across the book at the climax (when you learn about Jace and Clary). It was gross and I didn’t think I could finish the book the first time around. I wasn’t so grossed out this time but I did wish it wouldn’t have been a part of the story. I like the whole forbidden thing but that was just too sickening. Also, the villain Voldemort-- I mean Valentine was just corny....
OVERALL:

The Shadowhunter world was one you could get lost in-- in a best kind of way! The love interest was absolutely dreamy so I recommend reading it based on one word. JACE.---9.0 / 10