Sunday, March 9, 2014

Early Review of the Divergent Soundtrack -- Should you buy it?


The Divergent soundtrack for the movie comes out March 11 2014! I found this website giving a free listen to all the songs until March 10th: I thought it might be fun to review the album since I love to listen to what they pick for movies I'm excited about; I think it will reflect how the movie will turn out and if the movie has the mood of the book.

Now, I am not the most discerning person when it comes to music. I find 90% of my music on the radio and the other 10% from Pandora's random picks that sound like songs I already like so I just want to say that these songs picks are my personal preference. I'm not discouraging anyone from buying this album or the songs, I'm just saying what I would or would not buy. 

In general, I don't like anything too out there, if it has a good beat and I can hear what they are saying, I usually like it. 

On to the review:

   I wrote notes next to the songs when I could even think what I liked or didn't like about it in italics and whether I would buy that song or not in bold. Clearly, I don't think I should count on a career as a music critic anytime soon. 

  1. Zedd - Find You (ft. Matthew Koma and Miriam Bryant)- Liked it, upbeat and romantic BUY 
  2.  Ellie Goulding - Beating Heart- Most advertised for the soundtrack- I think it captures the feel of the book BUY
  3. Pia Mia - Fight For You (ft. Chance The Rapper) -My favorite song. Loved Pia Mia's soft voice. I think the rapping ruins the song. I don’t think it needed it. MAYBE
  4. Ellie Goulding - Hanging On (I See MONSTAS Remix- Dance song BUY
  5. Snow Patrol - I Won’t Let You Go- This was just ehh to me DON’T BUY
  6. Woodkid - Run Boy Run-  Not my style DON’T BUY
  7. Tame Impala & Kendrick Lamar – Backwards - Reminds me of the song from the Twilight soundtrack DON’T BUY
  8. M83 - I Need You - Couldn’t tell what they're saying that well DON’T BUY
  9. A$AP Rocky - In Distress (ft. Gesaffelstein)-  Didn’t like at all  DON’T BUY
  10. Pretty Lights - Lost and Found (ODESZA Remix)-  Too remixy DON’T BUY
  11. Skrillex - Stranger (with KillaGraham from Milo & Otis and Sam Dew)-  DON’T BUY
  12. Big Deal - Dream Machines-  Just Ok MAYBE
  13. Ellie Goulding - Dead In The Water- Reminded me of Tris BUY
  14. Woodkid - I Love You Reminded me of a Halloween song. MAYBE
  15. Banks - Waiting Game - BUY
  16. Ellie Goulding - My Blood - MAYBE
There are 16 songs on this album. Most were fast paced and up tempo, which I think bodes well for the movie.

Who will like it: Honestly, I'm not sure who would like the whole thing. It has some rap, some of what I consider emo, some pop. I really only liked the pop songs. I guess people who like a whole mix on genres. 

So that's 5 BUYS, 7 DON'T BUYS, and 4 MAYBES. In my opinion, I wouldn't buy the album as a whole but a few songs. I choose my music based on one question: If I was in a car for 6 hours, could I listen to the whole album without getting annoyed by most of the songs? (I take long distance trips a lot.) This failed that test for me.

What I would have made the album better for me; I wish there was one slower, romantic song on the album. 

Favorite Song --  Zedd - Find You (ft. Matthew Koma and Miriam Bryant)
Least Favorite -- A$AP Rocky - In Distress (ft. Gesaffelstein) 
Best for Gym -- Ellie Goulding - Hanging On or Zedd - Find You (ft. Matthew Koma and Miriam Bryant)
Most romantic -- Zedd - Find You (ft. Matthew Koma and Miriam Bryant)
Funnest: Zedd -- Find You (ft. Matthew Koma and Miriam Bryant)
Best movie fit -- Ellie Goulding - Dead in the Water

Let me know what you think if you get to listen to it!