Thursday, February 16, 2012

Linkin Park's Burning in the Skies: Scene Inspiration

Linkin Park has always been a great inspiration to me. I've loved them since highschool (not all their songs and definitely not their new album so much). But in most of their songs, I found there is just something to their music that is so visual that I haven't found in many other artists.

Something about their music conjures vivid scenes in my mind, usually action scenes (always dramatic). Usually involving runnning for some reason....running is just dramatic to me. True for anyone else? Anywho, this is my newest favorite of theirs:

BURNING IN THE SKIES


Particulary I like these lyrics:

I'm swimming in the smoke
Of bridges I have burned
So don't apologize
I'm losing what I don't deserve
What I don't deserve

 
A lot of my characters for my WIP (Work in Progress) suffer from a guilty conscience. When I listen to this song, it says to me that they've made mistakes and they take the blame for them. That their mistakes, especially dealing with other people, weigh heavily on their shoulders. A complete burden. Swimming in the smoke--They are kind of drowning in this guilt. Like, crying so hard you feel like you're suffocating or screaming until you go hoarse is the visual I get (very dramatic, like I said). I use music a lot to think of scenes at the gym or when I'm relaxing. Music distracts me when I'm writing though :-(

Anyway, I'll probably end up posting a lot of songs or things that inspire my writing. Maybe I'll make this a regular thing.