Sunday, August 19, 2012

Book Review: Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout


Author: Jennifer Armentrout
            Website
            Blog
Series or Stand-alone: 
            Book 1 in the Lux Series
How I got it:
            Bought it from Amazon
Pages: 287
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Genre: Young Adult / Paranormal/ Aliens
First Published: November 29 2011
Buy it from: Amazon
                  Barnes & Noble
Add to Goodreads
Book Trailer:




FIRST LINE(S): "I stared at the pile of boxes in my new bedroom, wishing the Internet had been hooked up."

The GIST (From Goodreads):

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

OPINION:

If you're looking for a mature Young Adult novel with a hot male love interest, a self-reliant female narrator and plenty of chemistry between the two then "Obsidian" is the book you're looking for. Basically the story starts with Katy, a normal high school girl, after she moved to West Virginia a.k.a. the middle of Nowhere. There is only one stop light in the whole town and virtually no stores so it looks like life is about to get real boring, real quick. Luckily, Katy is a self-sufficient girl with hobbies to take up her time: blogging, reading, gardening, etc. Katy is dealing well with the move until she meets Daemon, her utterly gorgeous and completely rude next door neighbor. Automatically he is standoffish and tries to push Katy away from his sister Dee by being a jerk. However, you don't know why he's acting like such an insufferable ass when it's clear he is a caring guy especially for his sister and then for Katy. Not until later on in the book do you find out the reasons (because with a mean guy there is always reason behind his meanness right….) 

This is the second time I read Obsidian. I found this book before I joined the blogging world so it was interesting to understand all the blogging references that were made while reading it the second time. From Waiting on Wednesday to vlogs, it’s impossible not to see that Armentrout knows her audience. Although I wasn't a book blogger at the time, the blogging references didn't detract from anything and I thought it was great that Katy had her own thing going on and her world didn't revolve around thinking about Daemon.

What I loved most about this book was the relationship between Daemon and Katy. She does not put up with his rude behavior and never lets him get away with treating her unfairly. Although you come to see why Daemon is the way he is to Katy and it endears you to him, Katy doesn't think his reasons are any excuse for his actions and this complicates her feelings for him. The sexual chemistry between the two practically oozes off each page. If they aren't arguing then they are ripping each others clothes off. Daemon never loses his cool factor and Katy never let's him get under her skin. I liked that Katy didn't accept Daemon's cruel behavior like some other MC have in Young Adult novels.

The mystery behind Daemon and Dee was something I haven’t read before in other books; I don’t think I’ve ever read a young adult novel with aliens as the supernatural element. I went into this book without reading any reviews and I didn't read the blurb so I was surprised at Dee's and Daemon's secret. The supernatural twist was creative and not overused.

OVERALL:

There's nothing I can think of that I didn't like about this book! It had some of the most palpable chemistry between characters that I've ever read. You have to read it (if you haven't already)---10 out of 10.