Sunday, July 29, 2012

Book Review: The Death Cure by James Dashner (Book 3 of the Maze Runner Series)

Author: James Dashner
             Website
             Blog
Series or Stand-alone: 
            Book 3 in The Maze Runner Series:
                                                   My Review of Book 1: The Maze Runner
                                                   My Review of Book 2: The Scorch Trials
How I got it:
             From my friend who works at Scholastic
Pages: 325
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult / Dystopian
First Published: October 23, 2011
Buy it from: Amazon
                  Barnes & Noble
Add to Goodreads
Book Trailer: 

FIRST LINE(S): "It was the smell that began to drive Thomas slightly mad."


The GIST (From Goodreads):

Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?

OPINION:
Warning: Mild Spoilers from Books 1 and 2

This ending was neither satisfying nor anger inducing. I didn't really feel that "OH that's what it's been all about!" moment where I looked back at the other books and said "now I understand. Now I get all the killing and the tests. There was such a great reason behind them." That didn't happen.

On the flip, I didn't throw the book against the wall screaming about a cop-out ending saying "That was it! What the Bleep @@@ Bleepin Bleep was that!" (Kind of like I did with Harry Potter but without the cursing. Harry is too innocent for such language.)

Instead, I merely felt okay with the ending. I enjoyed the series and I don't regret reading them, however, the secret of WICKED was a little of a let down as was the reason for the trials. I guess I thought the ending would be a bit more imaginative.
That being said, I was glad how it ended. I can't wait to read "The Kill Order" coming out soon.

OVERALL:

A decent ending to a good series. I wholeheartedly recommend the series.---7.0 out of 10.