Wednesday, June 27, 2012

W.I.P. Wednesday: Laziness

 Ever heard the phrase "Give a task to a busy person and it will get done, give a task to someone with nothing to do and they won't find the time for it." (Or something like that).

Let me show give you an example:
I stopped working full time on May 11th. Before that I wrote 68,000 words of my WIP after work and on weekends.

From May 11th to today I have 80,000 words written. 

That's 12,000 words in a month and a half of full-time writing! Pitiful!


Basically my goals when I moved and didn't have a job was to finish my first and second draft and find some critique partners to look it over. I considered my half-done first draft a complete draft because I wrote everything out of order and needed to start from the beginning to get my plot holes fixed. So I didn't have all the scenes I knew needed to be written done because I figured I would fix it when I fixed everything before the scenes.

So my second draft was started. I got pretty far editing near the end of May-June but then realized I was missing a lot of scenes at the end of the book. Thus, from the beginning of June to the end, I've been so lazy about doing it that I've only really written about 7,000 words in a month which is pitiful when you have so much time on your hands.

I should be done with my second draft. I should have sent it out to people already. But no. No.


Sometimes I think I'm the laziest person on the planet. I can't make myself do anything and it's frustrating. I need to get myself into a routine but it seems impossible. I need to get a grip on myself because I'm starting to apply for jobs again and won't all the time I have right now.

Grumble. Grumble.
What a waste.