Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Book Review: Pandemonium


Author: Lauren Oliver
              Website
              Blog
 Pages: 480
 Publisher: HarperTeen
 Genre: Young Adult / Dystopian
 First Published: February 28, 2012lo
 First Line: “Alex and I are lying together in a blanket in the backyard of 37 Brooks.”
 Buy it from: Amazon
                   Barnes & Noble

The GIST (From Goodreads):

I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.
Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.

OPINION:
(Warning: Minor spoilers from Delirium (Book 1)) 
I was so excited to read Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver even though I figured that Alex would probably not be in it. Oh how I truly hate when you know the sequel won't have to romance you loved in the first one! Alas, I knew this was true of this book but I was interested to see what would happen to Lena after she jumped the fence and Alex, was well, you know.

 Anyway, was I crazy about how the book was staggered from Then to Now with one chapter being about Lena in the wildness and the other was about her in the city, apart of the rebellion? Not particularly. No. It didn't bother me that much, however, because no matter which time period I was reading I looked forward to the next chapter. I did like how the Then scenes kind of linked with the Now scene and I can see how it explained Lena's journey and actions more clearly.

A problem I keep finding with Lena is that I really don't know who she is. At points I think she is brave, independent, strong and resourceful. At other times, I thought she was weak and wimpy with no shame about being so useless. Although people are multidimensional, I would have a hard time recognizing her words or actions if they didn't have "Lena said or Lena did."

There is a romance in the book. It wasn't surprising and the twist wasn't all that exciting. The guy is no Alex. However, the rather predictable ending really opens up the third book to go anywhere. I know I will be pre-ordering that!

OVERALL:

Pandemonium was a lot less exciting and a lot more predictable than Delirium. However, I enjoyed the story and romance. I will be eagerly awaiting the next book!---8.5